1. Participation Charter 2006 (the original CYPN article can be found here) NOTE: not all docs may be visible on mobile devices
Published by Children Young People Now magazine on 6th June 2006*, in association with the Participation Works Consortium. Also see “Charter 2006 – Not Just Heard” where James Cathcart, former CEO of one of the Consortium founder members, reviews the charter in context and selects his ‘best bits’ from the charter that mirror what young leaders are calling for today. ‘The Children Now Participation Charter 2006 is an excellent reference point for anyone wanting to measure progress of the Youth Voice Movement since then, and inspiration to those considering a reboot of a unifying vision for the road head’
2. Supporting Youth Voice in organisations – Youth Voice Charter, YVH 2020
3. Children’s Participation from Tokenism to Citizenship, Roger Hart, UNICEF 1992 – the original report, which includes and explains Harts Ladder in context, such as its applicability to ‘young people’ as both pre-teenage children, and those up to and including 18, the UN Convention on Rights of the Child and references to schools, youth clubs and family in his final chapter “Where to Begin”.
4. New and Innovative Forms of Youth Participation in Decision-Making, Crowley, Moxon, Council of Europe 2017
5. A Seat At the Table for Everyone SALTO/Erasmus 2019, promoting inclusive youth participation through the EU strategy 2017-2027, this paper aims to
6. Lundys Model of Child Participation 2007 (from an original publication in The British Educ Journal – and referenced by Irish Govt youth participation strategy. and is cited as underpinning the work of the English based Participation People
7. Participation Models – Citizens, Youth, Online Creative Commons 1992 – a walk through summary of 36 models of participation including youth participation.
8. Decision Making: Children and Young People’s Decision-Making, Scottish Govt 2020 Guidance and Research References
9. Real Decision-Making? School Councils in Action: Geoff Whitty & Emma Wisby
Institute of Education, University of London
10. Young in Decision-making – A Study on the Impacts of Youth on Adults and Organizations, Univ of Wisconsin, 2000
11. Listen and Change – A Guide to Children and Young People’s Participation Rights, Participation Works 2003
12. Children’s Participation in Decision-making Ireland
If there is anything you’d like to add to the Resource Bank – please contact us and we’ll review it.