“Recognition and Inclusion are two key values and ways in which Young Voices Heard seeks to better amplify youth voice and participation in public life. inclusion.
YVH founder, James Cathcart, launched this ‘Campaign’ in 2016 to call on more people to ‘not just notice but nominate’ young people for public recognition wherever they shine, in the service of others. Not just at a local level or within organisation, but where recognition reaches the wider public at a national level. “I want the public (and the media) to see and hear more about the achievements of young leaders/changemakers, to appreciate the value that they add to society, and to inspire others to follow. I especially applaud their youth-led campaigns to make a difference to all our futures. Through positive recognition we can all challenge the negative stereo types and labelling often put onto young people. The nations ‘youth’ are an under-valued national asset which should to be invested in, not just for what their potential, but to encourage more of what but they contribute everyday!”
There are many awards schemes, but YVH is highlighting those schemes that are open* to public nomination, and which are more likely to boost young peoples profile to the general public as inspirational ambassadors and role models.
(* i.e. you dont have to be a member or associated with one organisation to be nominated)
HM The King’s New Year and Birthday Honours (YVH publishes a list of those age up to 30 who have received awards – follow links below for more info and how to nominate)
The Pride of Britain Awards (annual, all ages and televised!)
The Diana Awards (annual, age 9-25 nominations open in May)
The PM No 10 Point of Light Awards (all ages, published daily)
The British Youth Citizen Awards (annual, aged up to 18, ) and part of the British Citizen Awards. (established in 2016, James Cathcart is Ambassador )
..and although not an award scheme we back the #iwillmovements ambassador initiative for annually inviting applications/nominations of children and young people who share their experiences of volunteering/youth social action and are inspiring case studies.
#IWIll Movement Ambassadors (annual, aged 10-25, nominate Spring 24)
CALL TO ACTION
- Nominate Now!
- If you agree and can support the campaign – please use the contact box below to add you name & role and send me a quote.
- If you are an organisation pls you can send me your logo) and I shall start a list of supporting organisations who back the campaign.
- If you know and would recommend another award initiative please let me know about it with as much detail about – who can be nominated, and whether its open to all or just for members – so that we can start a directory!”
Return to Menu for
- Youth Honours Presentation (Cabinet Office slides) 28.07.21
- Queens Youth Honours List
- Champions and Changemakers Gallery
- Youth Voice Interviews